Saturday, May 29, 2010

Monkey faced Squirrel

This week's camera critter is a monkey faced squirrel that my grandparents and I came across while we were finishing up my visit of the golf courses in their gated community in Aiken, South Carolina. We were absolutely fascinated by this critter as we had absolutely no clue what the heck he was!!! I was wondering if he wasn't the product of a raccoon heading in to the wrong nest one night and having a roll in the hay with a gray squirrel because he really did look like a perfect cross between a raccoon and your run of the mill squirrel. I hunted around on the internet for quite a while trying to find out what he was and finally got my answer when I posted his picture on Facebook and asked my friends if they knew what he was and some of them did! Good thing too, because the curiosity was driving me nuts lol

I hope you all have a great weekend, be sure to add to it by checking out all the other fun critters over here

7 comments:

  1. Amazing...I've never in my life seen anything like this!

    My Camera Critters are 'museum quality'....Click Here to join me if you'd like to view them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that for real? wow amazing. First time to see such cretters and I only seen that in here in your post right now.

    http://www.sheaky.com/2010/05/camera-critters-llama.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sure is different than any of the aquirrels I have seen. Cool critter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing one...Never seen it before :)

    http://thehappyfamilies.blogspot.com/2010/05/fly.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's actually an eastern fox squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have seen exact same type critter in a preserve in Hillsborough County; Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a Fox Squirrel. We have them all over central Florida. The locals call them Monkey Squirrels or Monkey Face Squirrels.

    ReplyDelete