Saturday, May 21, 2011

Today I...May 21st

Today I...

...am very sad to tell you all that I had to say goodbye to this dear, sweet old girl, who really wasn't so old at all. Rhea was only eight years old, but had been suffering from degenerative myelopathy, a disease of the nervous system which really is kind of like multiple sclerosis for dogs, for the past four months.
I called Rhea 'Squishy', because as you can see, she was very good at flaking out and flattening every inch of herself to the surface which she was lying on.

I also called her 'Goofy', because that's what she was, a goof. She was so very laid back, but when she played or came to greet you, she would get this great big goofy grin on her face. She was also quite the klutz, because she had very long legs and a long body, so her gait was definitely not what you would call graceful, but it was all her own. I will always remember her soft fur, her gentle and very selective kisses, how she would run over enthusiastically when I called her name and climb up on my lap for cuddles. Well, she could fit halfway on my lap anyway. I will also remember holding her in my arms when she was a puppy and how she brought a smile to my face no matter what my mood was. I will remember how hard it was taking her for a walk because she loved to chase cars and how hard it was to keep her from eating my cat and I will remember how wonderful it was to give her a hug. I will miss seeing her run up to greet me when I go to visit my mom so very much, but I know she will have the very same enthusiasm, if not more, for each one of us when we see her again some day, along with all our other dearly loved and greatly missed pets, when we join them in heaven.

I am sorry if I have not been around to your blogs very much this week, but between work and now Rhea, I have not been able to make it. I will make the rounds tomorrow if I can and I thank all of you for visiting my blog since I have been back from my vacation and for your comments.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Karine, I'm sorry that I'm late getting here, and I'm also very sorry for the loss of your families precious and beautiful girl Rhea. What a lovely tribute you've written and what a special girl I can tell she was. You are right, her life with your family wasn't nearly long enough, but in her time she made memories for all of you that will last a lifetime, and those memories are something that can never be taken away. I know you'll all see her again, and what a wonderful day that will be...


    ~~God speed Rhea~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear this. I felt as if I knew your dog after reading your tribute to her.

    ReplyDelete