Saturday, September 1, 2012

Today I...September 1st

Our friends' E and J's almost two month old son in my Sweetheart's arms last night

Size comparison and enough cuteness to turn anyone into mush, especially me :o)

Today I...

...am sharing these two photos of baby A in my Sweetheart's arms last night. My Sweetheart and I both won the 'Get A to Sleep' trophy yesterday evening. He fell asleep in both of our arms, mine for a solid half hour at the beginning of the evening and my Sweetheart's for closer to 45 minutes at the end of the evening. At one point they were actually both asleep together on the couch, it was pretty darn adorable. Anyhow, I can confirm that seeing one's other half with a baby in his arms, will turn you to mush and make you want a baby, if even you know perfectly well that you are not ready for a baby right in that moment. It is a very dangerous thing, ladies, very dangerous indeed.

...was very happy when my Sweetheart finally took A in his arms. I could tell he wanted to, but he is quite cautious about taking babies in his arms before they can hold their heads up on their own. Our friend L and I got him set up though with the baby and a cushion and he was as happy as I clam to hold A and I was as happy as a clam to take pictures of the event. Aside from holding A myself, my Sweetheart holding him was the highlight of my evening :o)

...had a nice, laid back day today. No need to go to the hospital to visit my father or go to clean his house for the firs time in nearly a month. I therefore slept in until 10:15 A.M., watched two episodes of Downton Abbey (I am now onto Season 2 and will begin watching it later on this evening) while having a leisurely brunch. I then got my cleaning done, went for a 3 km jog, showered and then headed out to visit V's cat and fish as V and her boyfriend have gone off to a wedding for the weekend. I fed the cat and the fish, gave the cat a healthy amount of attention and then hopped on the bus and went to get some ice cream at Kem CoBa, which I have blogged about previously. I had their flavor of the month, 72% dark chocolate and raspberry soft ice cream. It was insanely good, and I just might go back for more soon. Maybe tomorrow? I may not be able to help myself. 

...spoke with my father when I got home. He is doing well, but still gets tired quite easily, especially when he has a rather busy day, as he did today. I more than likely won't be seeing him this weekend, but I'm hoping for next week. I may try and get him to come out to my neck of the woods to the Grand Prix Cycliste de Montréal with my Sweetheart and I.

...had a nice plate of spaghetti with my mom's meat sauce on it and a glass of white wine for dinner, a great way to cap off the day!
...am wishing my grandparents a nice trip! They are heading off to Ireland and Scotland for two weeks tomorrow, the lucky ducks!

2 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your difficult summer with your Dad's hospital stay. Men seem to find the loss of focus very hard when they retire. By contrast I'm longing to retire, as are many of my female friends. My Dad went through something similar to yours, and for him it was a question of finding the right medication. Although you can help him feel better, it's definitely not all up to you, so don't take too much of that on yourself. At the end of the day the biggest effect will probably come from medication. Obviously you care deeply for your Dad and want to make a difference to how he feels, but I can't stress enough that you mustn't wear yourself out by thinking that the cure rests with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind and helpful comment, Linda. I am trying not to take it all on myself. It is a very delicate balance between knowing in my mind that I cannot make my father feel better all on my own and feeling like, or being made to feel like, I am not doing enough. Some people around me seem to think that it would be okay for me to force my father to accept visits from me while I prefer to respect his wishes if he does not feel up to having visitors. I call him every day, but at time I can tell he feels smothered. It really is difficult to find the right balance between helping him and the point at which we do too much and he pushes us away.

      Delete