Sunday, December 13, 2009

Today I...December 13th


Today I...

...went Downtown for lunch and a movie with my mother and my brother. As you can see above, I went through one of my favorite places in all Montreal on my way there, Central Station, which is all decked out for the holidays.

...was early for once. Well actually, no, I wasn't. Mother and Brother were late. So, I wandered around the area of Central Station with my trusty camera and snapped this photo of one of the statues in Place du Canada, which is very nearby the station.
Yup, there's still loads of snow on the ground and more started falling just after we got to the restaurant. But, before making it to the restaurant, I snapped this photo of St. George's Anglican church, which is just across from Place du Canada and, incidentally, Montreal's Catholic Cathedral, Marie-Reine-du-Monde (Mary Queen of the World).

Looks kind of like it's out int he middle of the country somewhere, doesn't it? Or at least in a small town. Well, as you can see below, it's actually right smack dab in the middle of the business district, right next to the IBM tower.

It is right across from the old Windsor Station though, it matches perfectly with that building, far better than it does with the IBM tower and the Readers' Digest tower which is the one you can glimpse behind the church.

...we got to lunch late, then got to the theater late after making sure my mother got a good feel for the Underground City (Montreal's network of underground shopping centers and tunnels which allowed me, while I was at McGill, to get on the train in Pierrefonds, which is way out on the west end of the Island that is Montreal, take off my hat, coat, scarf and mitts and not put them back on again until I was done with class on some days because once on the train I didn't have to set a tow outside again until I got home. The train station was connected by tunnel to McGill's Language study building and oh, how I loved it.)

...saw Disney's 'A Christmas Carol' in IMAX 3D. My brother and I loved it, but my mom found it wasn't up to snuff with her old fashioned version of the movie. She had also never seen an IMAX movie before so I think it was a bit much for her and the scenes where Scrooge was flying around made her kind of dizzy because she took of the 3D glasses once or twice. She did find it neat though. Oh, 'A Christmas Carol' may be a Disney movie, by the way, but it is not kid friendly, Jacob Marley and the spirits of Christmas Present and Past will scare them silly. Stick with 'The Princess and the Frog', they'll like that better.

...got a ride home from my mom in the blinding snow, it was really coming down and the scrapers and salt trucks were coming out again.

...realized too late that I had forgotten to buy dry food for my kitties, they're getting all wet food tonight, not that they'll mind one bit.

...watched 'The Little Princess' on TV, I hadn't seen it in ages, but loved it just as much as the last time I watched it. The nasty headmistress of Sara Crewe's boarding school reminds me immensely of my horrible 6th grade teacher and I take great pleasure in watching her get soot dumped all over her by Sara and Becky :o)

...taste tested my Christmas cookies and found them to be even tastier than they were yesterday. They may be prize worthy after all :o) I'll try and get a picture of them all decked out in their Christmas box when they're heading into the competition at the Christmas party on Thursday, but they're staying in their air tight containers until then so they'll stay nice and fresh.

1 comment:

  1. again you were crazy busy all day........when are you seeing your boyfriend?

    Gill

    ReplyDelete